Polyalphaolefin (PAO) oils are stable, lubricious fluids that are compatible with most plastics and elastomers. PAO oils are considered a great replacement for petroleum based products, are used in countless applications and industry sectors. PAO summary:
- Temperature range of -60 to 125°C
- Relatively low cost
- Excellent wear reduction
- Good plastic/elastomer compatibility (read our compatibility article for more guidance)
- Broad temperature range
- Viscosity Index 125 to 145
There are three basic types of PAO Oils:
- Low viscosity PAO oils which are 2 – 100 cSt at 100°C
- High viscosity PAO oils which are 40 – 100 cSt at 100°C
- High viscosity index PAO oils which are 150 – 1000 cSt at 100°C
Keep in mind that if a Polyalphaolefin is used as the base oil for a grease, the thickener and additives also used in the formula will have an influence on the final characteristics and performance of the finished grease/lubricant.
Take a look at our typical thickener systems characteristics used to make a base oil into a grease.